Sunday, September 13, 2009

r-rated thought

I may look manang as one of my friends would say, which I vehemently object to by the way ,but this entry might shed some light on whether I really stand in the manang category.:P

Yesterday, in one of my classes, the topic was the about the provision of the law regarding the punishment that will be imposed if a person, who surprises his spouse in the act of sexual intercourse with another, kills or inflicts serious physical injuries upon either or both of the parties caught in the act.* The law says that instead of being imprisoned, he/she shall be sentenced to destierro.

Now, I don't have any problems with this provision of the law. Nor do I really care about it. It's actually how we discussed this topic that bothered me, particularly, the use of the term 'sexual intercourse'.

Errr.. this isn't really a very smart entry and I think some might think of me as silly for even thinking of this. But I'm going to write it anyway.

You see, I noticed that every time that we are to talk about the act of sexual intercouse in class we never refer to it as just 'sex' but we still make use of the term 'sexual intercourse' ,which is so much longer in terms of syllables. Why do we have to keep saying that the husband caught the wife in the act of sexual intercourse? Why not just say the husband caught the wife having sex?

And it's really not just for this one provision. Every time the topic of having sexual intercourse is being discussed in relation to a provision of the law, we rarely use the term 'sex' but instead we make use of the longer word. And the funny thing is while I'm taking down notes I usually have an internal debate with myself on whether I should write down 'sexual intercourse' or 'sex'. And I always end up writing sexual intercourse, even if it's so much longer to write.

Why are we so careful with these terms, anyway? It means the same thing but then the other term seems to sound more decent than the other, right? Maybe the term sexual intercourse sounds more academic than the term sex? Or maybe I'm just really weird and all these non-sense doesn't really matter to other people...

Yup, I think it's just me. So manang or not? But I think weird suits me better. =)

________________
REVISED PENAL CODE
Art. 247. Death or physical injuries inflicted under exceptional circumstances. — Any legally married person who having surprised his spouse in the act of committing sexual intercourse with another person, shall kill any of them or both of them in the act or immediately thereafter, or shall inflict upon them any serious physical injury, shall suffer the penalty of destierro.XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment